3 Tax Tips for Business Owners, Homeowners and the Self-Employed


Non-Principal Private Residence Charge (NPPR)
The NPPR was an annual charge applied from 2009 to 2013 in respect of residential property that was not the owner’s only or main residence in those years. If you owned residential property on the liability date in any of the years 2009 to 2013, and it was not your only or main residence on that date, you were liable to pay the charge of €200. The first liability date was 31 July 2009. For each year from 2010 to 2013, the liability date was 31 March.
There were some exemptions to the charge, for example, for mobile homes, caravans or granny flats etc. The NPPR charge was €200 for each property that you owned on the liability date each year, apart from your main residence.
From 2014 onwards, the NPPR is no longer charged, but outstanding liabilities and payments will still be collected.
Earlier this year, the High Court decided that the charge could be claimed against tax following a case taken by a landlord. That opened up the possibility that tens of millions of euro being repaid to landlords by the Revenue Commissioners. However, it has now emerged the State is appealing the High Court judgment to the Court of Appeal. I would advise you to speak to your Accountant to make sure you are fully prepared in case the State loses the appeal.
Home Renovation Incentive (HRI)
The Home Renovation Incentive (HRI) scheme enables homeowners or landlords to claim tax relief on repairs, renovations or improvement work that is carried out on their main home or rental property by tax-compliant contractors.
The HRI is paid in the form of a tax credit at 13.5% of qualifying expenditure, which can be set against your income tax over 2 years. This effectively reduces the rate of VAT to zero on qualifying work, up to a value of €30,000.
To qualify for the HRI, the work must be done between 25 October 2013 and 31 December 2018 for homeowners; and between 15 October 2014 and 31 December 2018 for landlords.
To qualify for the HRI as an owner-occupier, the work must be carried out on your principal private residence.

To read full story click HERE and check out our digital edition.