Final Decision on Lake View Slip Road Expected Within Days

By Seamus Whelehan

0
888

A new slip road intended to ease congestion near Midleton may get the final approval within days. Funding for the dedicated merge lane off the Lake View Roundabout has been secured but Council top brass, however, are not willing to approve the scheme unless costs meet their expectations.
The County Director of Roads and Transport, Padraig Barrett, told Monday’s Southern Committee that approval of the scheme was “subject to price, subject to funding and subject to approval”. If the Contractor’s “rates are suitable, we will progress with it” he said. Cllrs have long campaigned for a new lane to facilitate Cork bound traffic from the Ballinacurra arm of the junction.
The new plan allows for the construction of a slip road below the Circle K petrol station to the southwest of the existing roundabout, allowing traffic coming from Ballinacurra and Whitegate merge with the N25 westbound to Cork City, bypassing the existing roundabout.
A Traffic Management Study of the area has revealed that 70% of morning rush hour traffic is heading to Cork, with the remaining 30% heading towards Midleton or Youghal. Independent Cllr Noel Collins welcomed the improvements, but he pointed out that “public lighting is sparse at the junction and larger directional signs are needed.”
He said “at present signs are too small and slow up traffic.”
The Director of Roads said he wasn’t 100 per cent sure that public lighting was included in the project, but he would have it reviewed.
Regarding the directional signage, he said he would have Transport Infrastructure Ireland review the directional signage at the roundabout.

Advertisement