Roches Point Lighthouse Celebrates 200 Years Guiding Mariners Through Cork Harbour

By Seamus Whelehan


It was the 4 June 1817 that the lighthouse at Roche’s Point was first lit and its beaming light has been a welcoming beacon for Mariners since.
A notice which appeared in the Freeman’s Journal on that date read;
“Light-house on Roche’s Point, entrance to Cork Harbour” “A light to be exhibited on the evening of Wednesday the 4 June next, and from thence continue lighted from sunset to sunrise.” “The light is to be steady, of deep red colour to the sea, and from the Cove a bright light.”
This coming 4 June the commissioners for Irish Lights in association with the Cork Harbour Heritage Alliance will give the public a rare glimpse inside the lighthouse.
Access to the site is by ticket only and will be limited to 1,500 people.
Space can be booked online or by registering your interest at the Midleton Tourist Office.
Please follow the East Cork Journal on face book for further details as the website for the Roche’s Point event was not operational at the time of going to print.
Tickets are priced at approximately €7 each which covers insurance and bus from Trabolgan to Roche’s Point.
As the lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation, access to the Fresnel lens will not be permitted.
This is the first time in its history the lighthouse has been open to the public for tours.
Access to the tower will be open to active adults and flip flop shoes are prohibited.
The site was acquired from Colonel Edward Roche through a compulsory purchase order.

To read full story click HERE and check out our digital edition.