Second Loss for Cork in Co Op Munster Hurling League


Waterford 1-24
Cork 1-18

The auditions continue, with both Cork and Waterford giving plenty of panellists an opportunity to impress in this Co-Op Superstores Munster SHL clash in chilly Mallow last Wednesday night. Cork had a changed side from the one that lost to Clare in Ennis, but they still gave a good account of themselves against a Waterford side containing more of their star players.

Winners Waterford were more clinical than their opponents and deserved the win – playing with the wind, they had an early scoring burst by Stephen Bennett who shot 0-3 early on. Cork, with Robbie O’Flynn and William Kearney contributing nice points hit back. Waterford settled, however, and five points on the bounce pushed them 0-8 to 0-4 ahead on 14 minutes, Kevin Moran’s long-range effort the pick of those Deise scores.

Cork had a goal in the 21 minute, with Aidan Walsh finishing a Declan Dalton side-line cut to the net, making it 1-5 to 0-10. Dalton and Stephen Bennett swapped frees before a Dalton brace levelled the game at 1-8 to 0-11 heading for half time.

Hometown Mallow man Cormac Murphy nudged Cork ahead with two minutes to the break but Bennett (from a free) levelled again. Declan Dalton drove over two radar like late frees to leave it 1-11 to 0-12 at the half time break with the rebels in front having played against the breeze in the opening half.

Waterford began well in the second half and resumed with a goal, with Michael “Brick” Walsh availing of a defensive mix-up by Cork to fire home, and three good points, two from Tallow’s Tommy Ryan and Jamie Barron – pushed the visitors 1-15 to 1-12 ahead by the three-quarter mark.

The more experienced Waterford were now in control and Cork needed a Cormac Murphy point to stay in touch. Stephen Bennett (free) and William Kearney responded, leaving it 1-17 to 1-14 on 51 minutes.

Cormac Murphy and Bennett (free) swapped points, maintaining Waterford’s advantage before Stephen Bennett hit a monster point to stretch the visitors’ lead to four turning into the last five minutes, Cork had no more in the tank and Waterford in this their first outing held out for the win which ends the competition for Cork while Waterford move on to play Clare.

Again Declan Dalton top scored for Cork with another flawless display of free-taking from the Fr O’Neill’s man. Cork will play UCC next as they continue to prepare for the allianz League at the end of the month.

Scorers for Cork: D. Dalton (0-9, 7 frees); A. Walsh (1-0); C. Murphy (0-3); M. O’Halloran (02); R. O’Flynn, W. Kearney, T. O’Mahony, C. Joyce (0-1 each.)

Scorers for Waterford: Stephen Bennett (013, 10 frees); M. Kearney (0-4); M. Walsh (1-0); T. Ryan, K. Moran, J. Barron (0-2), J. Prendergast (0-1).

CORK: P. Collins, N. O’Leary, D. Griffin, D. Lowney, C. Joyce, T. O’Mahony, R. Downey, C. Cahalane, W. Kearney, C. Murphy, M. O’Halloran, A. Walsh, J. Coughlan, D. Dalton, R. O’Flynn.

Subs: C. Beausang for O’Flynn (inj, 24); C. O’Callaghan for Lowney (inj, 33); E. Murphy for Walsh (inj, HT); S. O’Leary Hayes for Downey (61); P Leopold for Coughlan (62).

WATERFORD: B. Nolan, S. McNulty, S. Fives, N. Connors (c), J. Henley, M. O’Brien, M. Walsh, J. Barron, B. O’Halloran, K. Moran, M. Kearney, DJ Foran, T. Ryan, Stephen Bennett, C. Roche.

Subs: C. Prunty for O’Brien (53); S. Roche for Walsh (55); A. Gleeson for Moran (63); J. Prendergast for C. Roche (66); K. Bennett for McNulty (70).

Referee: John. Murphy (Limerick).