Upcoming fundraisers for Aaron’s Hope look to build on previous successes

By Alan Sheehan

0
1579

New fundraisers for Aaron’s Hope have been announced for this and next month following a successful barbecue fundraiser in Little Island this past weekend.
A barbeque was held at Harvey Normans in Little Island last Sunday, 4 and Monday, 5 from 12-6pm to raise money for Aaron McMahon and well supported despite the rain.
“We had the barbeque on Sunday and Monday,” said Sheena McGlone. “Monday took place during the rain, but we did well. People responded really well and we made €1,300 over the two days.”
A Cookery Demonstration by nutritionist and cookery teacher Debbie Shaw is to be held tonight, Thursday 8 June, at the Ballymaloe Cookery School in Shanagarry from 7-8.30pm. Tickets cost €25 and are unavailable on the night but can be purchased from Ballymaloe Cookery School shop, with proceeds going towards Aaron McMahon.
Next Saturday, 17 June sees the Goal Post Bar in Shanagarry host a Coffee Morning from 11am-1pm while a Fancy Dress Soccer Tournament is in the works for around the start of July. The exact time and date are to be confirmed, but it will be held at Kilboy Park, Churchvilla Football Club’s home ground, and will cost €10 per player to enter.
The proposed rules, as agreed with Aaron, are as follows: it will be a five-a-side competition with two age groups, under-16s and open age; all players must be in fancy dress or pay €20 fine per player; all teams must have at least one male dressed as a female on the pitch at all times; and mixed teams are permitted with girls’ goals counting double.
Garryvoe Hotel hosts a concert by Gina and the Champions along with Ronan Collins as special guest on Sunday, 2 July with doors opening at 8.30pm. Tickets cost €20 and can currently be purchased at stores in Ballycotton, Garryvoe, Centra in Cloyne and Broderick Filling Station in Shanagarry.
Aaron McMahon, a 16-year-old from Shanagarry, underwent brain surgery to remove 80% of a chordoma in March and is currently in Essen, Germany receiving specialised radiation treatment to remove the remaining 20%. A GoFundMe account to cover the costs can be found under Aaron’s Hope, with more information available at the Facebook page of the same name.

Advertisement